Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or better known as ADHD, is a mental disorder that affects an individual’s ability to focus. It affects a person attention and self-control. People have a harder time focusing because of ADHD. ADHD can make it harder to control behavior, so you see kids and teens may get into trouble more. They are very hyperactive.
According to proven research, it affects mainly children and adolescents(mostly males) but it’s rarely seen on adults.
There are some signs of ADHD in Children
Signs of ADHD in Children
- They are hyperactive. You scold them for doing something wrong only to see them do the same thing or something worse minutes after.
- They seem rowdy and disorganized. Hyperactivity won’t let them stay organized or keep their rooms neat.
- They are always prone to mistakes.
- Forgetfulness- Kids with ADHD may be forgetful in daily activities. That’s why you see most kids forgetting what is taught in school after holiday. You have to go over previous topics for them to remember.
- Lack of focus – A child with ADHD may have trouble paying attention
Ways to curb ADHD
First of all seek medical advice from a medical practitioner before following the alternatives below.
- Create a working structure. Make a routine for your child and stick to it every day
- Break tasks into manageable pieces. Simplify and organize your child’s life. Too much of tasks for the kids will cause boredom with the kid preferring to take solace in other activities.
- Limit distractions of any kind.
- Encourage exercise.
- Regulate sleep patterns.
- Encourage out-loud thinking.
- Helping your child to build their self esteem also matters.